The Maryland legislature needs leaders who understand our changing community, changing economy, and local government operations to advance Montgomery County’s and Maryland’s standing, regionally and globally.
● Lily was tapped by the Leggett administration to improve government effectiveness in serving and engaging the new communities.
○ Led a multilingual push for the Census 2010 count that led to Montgomery County having the highest participation rate among the capital region jurisdictions;
○ Established Montgomery County’s sister-city relationships with Xi’an (China), and facilitated global partnerships with emerging markets including Hyderabad (India) and Daejeon (South Korea);
○ Revamped Montgomery County’s policies and practices in improving services for people with limited English proficiency (LEP) that was recognized by the National Association of Counties (NACO) and the Migration Policy Institute, a national think tank;
○ Helped community-based organizations with capacity-building issues and resource needs;
○ Started Montgomery County’s official observances of Iftar and Diwali to bring diverse religious and cultural perspectives to County government;
● As Vice President of the Washington, DC Economic Partnership, Lily played a critical role in business retention and retail attraction essential to the City’s revitalization and helped usher in a sense of vitality and pride.
● During her time in Montgomery County, Lily helped elevate Montgomery County’s economic competitiveness through a series of strategic initiatives.
○ Co-founded BioHealth Innovation, Inc. on behalf of Montgomery County, a public-private partnership to advance early-stage biomedical translational research and commercialization to grow innovation economy;
● Led the transition of the former Department of Economic Development to the Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation , and WorkSource Montgomery to be more adaptive to market changes and community needs;
● Led the development of the Comprehensive Economic Strategy as a blueprint in advancing sustainable economic growth to build strategic industries and quality jobs;
● Championed cross-departmental efforts to improve the experience of doing business in Montgomery through an integrated business portal and improvements in services and communication;
● Raised Montgomery County leadership’s awareness of the need to be an inter-generational community and played a key role in the establishment of the Nighttime Economy Task Force that led to several improvements.